- Current IO Topics: Disinformation and conspiracy theories are impacting decisions of governance. Call them out.
I think we can all agree that there are a lot of pretty stupid things that politicians say and pretty stupid theories that politicians repeat that we can mostly just ignore because it isn’t hurting anything — other than our heads. But this is not that.Read More »
- Current IO Topics: AG Bill Barr was seeding narrative the Trump campaign will rely on in the election. It says a lot about what we can expect.
It is important to evaluate interviews like AG Bill Barr's one not just in the context of fact-checking or as truth or not. These interviews construct narrative that will guide how we view, perceive, and interpret events between now and the election.Read More »
- Current Information Operation Topics: US intelligence is finally figuring out how to communicate with the American public on threats in our information domain, and we should all pay attention.
You’ve probably seen messages that claim to provide evidence that busloads of “out of state” looters, rioters, and members of antifa are coming to burn down your town or city. They are bullsh*t. They are a psychological operation being run against Americans. And we should all understand how dangerous they are.Read More »
- What lessons haven’t we learned since 2016? Lesson 6: The war on history isn’t about history, but justifying a contemporary course of action.
The weeks leading up to Independence Day 2020 were a truly bizarre period in American public discourse, with an intense period of discussion about racial inequality and police violence sliding into a fraught counter-narrative about antifa radicalism and violence that failed to materialize.Read More »
- What lessons haven’t we learned since 2016? Lesson 5: Are YOU Disinfo?
We need to be more aware of whether and when our own posts are feeding narratives being pushed by adversaries and malign actors, what that means, and what we should do about it.Read More »
Molly K. McKew
Molly K. McKew (@MollyMcKew), a writer and lecturer on Russian influence and information warfare, is a senior adviser to the Stand Up Republic Foundation. She previously worked as an adviser to president and national security council of Georgia (2009-2013), as an adviser to former Moldovan Prime Minister Vlad Filat (2014-2015), and as the director of a project to counter disinformation and propaganda in the Baltic states (2016-2017). She is also a member of the board of the Stand Up Republic Foundation.