The Policy Director will lead on all policy and legislative matters for Stand Up Republic and Stand Up Republic Foundation, both internally with our team and externally with our partners. This is a senior position; directors are expected to operate as leaders within the organization and among peer organizations.
This position requires expertise in both specific reform areas like Congressional authority and oversight at the federal level and ballot access and ranked choice voting at the state level as well as a broader understanding of democratic institutions both in America and around the world. The Policy Director must understand the threat that populism and authoritarianism pose to democracy, and be capable of discussing and writing about these issues at both a conceptual and strategic level.
Stand Up Republic was founded in 2017 to address rising threats to America’s ideals, norms and institutions. Recognizing that our nation is suffering from a confluence of events and movements which pose a direct threat to our republic, SUR’s principal goal is to mobilize a new generation of patriotic Americans from all walks of life, committed to protecting and enhancing democracy.
Founders Evan McMullin and Mindy Finn envisioned a community of voters, advocates, and organizers dedicated to the core American values which have long helped our nation to flourish: liberty, equality and truth. SUR’s mission is to mobilize this coalition to ensure accountability in government, advance electoral reforms, promote a healthier media, and foster a multicultural society.
The Policy Director will be expected to do the following:
- Generate creative policy solutions and work with experts and coalitions to advance them, including developing detailed policy proposals to include in legislation.
- Write clear and concise reports, white papers, and other supporting materials as necessary.
- Be familiar with reform proposals and relevant legislation at both the federal and state levels.
- Work with our grassroots team in Washington and in the states to advance our policy preferences.
- Collaborate with our communications team to develop communications strategies to strategically amplify our advocacy and grassroots work;
- Contribute as a leader to the overall development of the organization across all areas.
Candidates must have at least five years of policy experience and salary is commensurate with experience. This is a contract position.
If you are interested in applying for this role, please send your resume and a cover letter with the subject line “Policy Director” to firstname.lastname@example.org.